Friday, April 20, 2012

Where Has My Yoga Gone?


If you haven’t noticed, I’m finding it really difficult lately to find time to write my blog. I’m finding it difficult lately to find time for myself. Life is incredibly busy and hectic right now.

Have you ever noticed that, when life gets busy or things get tough, your well-being is the first thing to go? As soon as life demands more than what we’re used to, we tend to automatically drop things that are important to us but that we consider to be secondary, to make up for the change. I went from practicing yoga almost everyday to maybe once a week. I’ve been eating out of a box for the past few weeks (or extending the indulgence of Easter weekend into Easter week).

Guess what happened? I got sick! My daughter caught a cold from God knows where and I was next in line. I’m not saying that if I had been exercising and eating well I wouldn’t have gotten sick - I’m not invincible. But I have been fighting this bug for over a week, and am just today starting to feel better. I know that if I had been taking better care of myself, this cold would have been gone days ago.

It is easy to get mad at myself too. If I wasn’t so distracted all the time, maybe I would plan a healthier meal instead of throwing some crap together last minute. If I made time for my yoga, I wouldn’t be so sick. Well, what’s done is done. Getting down on myself will only make things worse.

So I am trying to get back on track. I’ve practiced yoga every day this week, albeit they were fairly restorative practices considering how I’ve been feeling. I only got halfway through my practice today when some unexpected visitors arrived. I haven’t done great with the eating part, but better. I’ve made a hearty stew for tonight, full of nutritious veggies and lean beef. I will attend yoga practice at the studio tomorrow for the first time in weeks.

When you slip, it’s easy to just say “Fuck it” and give up on what you are working on. Instead, just say “Yup, that happened”, forgive yourself, then get back on track. If it’s important enough to you, a healthy lifestyle will naturally come back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment