Friday, May 11, 2012

Something Old, Something New

For the past two weeks, my family and I have been living with my parents. It has been great. I find that I am going through a whirlwind of different emotions.

Being back in my hometown, where I grew up. So many things are familiar to me, and so many things have changed. I don’t recognize a lot of people, and they probably think I’m just some new stranger moving to town.

Shopping at the grocery store I’ve been to a thousand times before, but it was so weird to be walking through alone, buying groceries for my family.

Meeting up with old friends that I went to school with. We’ve seen each other a lot since I left, but it’s different now that I live here. We don’t even say goodbye, because we know we’ll probably see each other the next day.

Taking my oldest daughter to watch the dance recital in town. The last time I lived here, I was on that stage dancing. I didn’t know ¾ of the girls dancing.

Living in the house I grew up in. It certainly is a different life I lead now than when I was a teenager (I’m still pretty immature though).

All of these new experiences have so much familiarity to them that I find myself really enjoying the ride. I walked into the high school gym the first day we arrived. It was like a warp zone, going back in time. But while there I tried something new. Zumba! It was certainly a stretch from my regular yoga practice, but it was a lot of fun!

Life takes us in so many different directions. Some things about us change, some remain the same. I think that if we are always true to ourselves, then the changes that happen will be positive ones and what we value most - love, family, friendship - will remain constant.

This will be my last post for a while, until we can get settled and life becomes routine once again. Any extra time I have will be spent practicing yoga or being with my family.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment