Thursday, March 1, 2012

I’m Sexy and I Know It

Okay, I don’t think I would classify myself as sexy. Maybe if I tried really hard, but I think I would more likely fall under the categories ‘cute’ or ‘pretty’. Just like Maria from West Side Story, yes, I think I’m pretty. Partly maybe because “I am loved by a pretty wonderful boy”, but there is more to my (perhaps) puffed up ego than that. Confidence in and love for myself.

I have always been a confident person. I guess I was born that way, though my parents are both fairly confident people as well. I’ve never been too concerned with how I look. I hardly wear any make-up and really couldn’t tell you the names of the popular clothing brands. I can wear bright red sweat pants in public, and really be okay if someone gives me a sideways glance.

Don’t get me wrong. I have my insecurities just like anyone else. Like, really? Do my arms have to be that hairy? After I was done with breastfeeding my first daughter and my breasts looked like two fried eggs nailed to a wall, I had some serious issues to work through (luckily my husband likes eggs). But, throughout my life, I have been able to accept my body the way it is and even feel some love for it.

I mean, my body’s been through the ringer. Five pregnancies, two c-sections and Crohn’s disease. My daughters often ask what all the lines on my stomach are from. Though I want to say “You did this to me you little ……. !”, I like to just tell them I am a tiger who has earned her stripes (whoever wrote that is genius). But, fried eggs, stripes and all, I still am happy with the way that I look.

I don’t know what the secret is to being happy with your body. I think it’s a combination of love, acceptance and respect for yourself. It is a choice. Ya gotta love the skin you’re in. I choose to love my body. If you don’t love your body, then you need to ask yourself why you feel that way. And then something needs to change. Either your way of thinking or the way you live your life. Or both.

To me, as long as you exercise and eat well, your body should look exactly as it was meant to. Whether you are a size 4 or 14.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment