Thursday, February 9, 2012

Try Something New

Today my yoga instructor and I and two other ladies from the studio are taking a yoga road trip. We are heading into Regina to the Bodhi Tree Yoga Studio to try something new. They teach Hatha yoga there, a style of yoga I have never practiced. I am a little bit nervous, but quite excited.

At Body In Mind Yoga Studio, I practice what is called Core Strength Vinyasa. It was founded by Sadie Nardini, my instructor’s instructor. It is a vinyasa flow, which means each pose flows into the next, built around the idea of the core as the foundation for everything yoga including the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects.
  
My first thoughts are “I don’t think I’m going to like Hatha Yoga”. From what I’ve been reading on Yoga Journal Online, “The word hatha means willful or forceful”. I don’t really like to associate the word ‘forceful’ with any form of exercise, especially yoga. I don’t think anything should be forced when it comes to your body.

But, what do I know?! Maybe I will love it! I will never know if I don’t try it.

Such is life. We will never be able to expand our minds and our hearts if we are not willing to try something new. New and different can be scary. Same same is safe and comfortable … and BORING!

Try something new today! Accept that exciting new job offer; have a baby; take that trip to India you’ve been thinking about!

Or maybe just try a squirt of chai flavoring in your latte instead of your regular vanilla. You crazy cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment