Thursday, February 2, 2012

Right Here, Right Now

As I write this, I’m thinking about what I’m going to make for supper, how long I have before my kids get sick of their show and come disrupt me, and that I should have myself a cappuccino. I find it really hard to stay in the present moment. To focus on what I’m doing right now, and not think about a million other things that I did yesterday or need to do tomorrow.

The art of meditation asks the practitioner to empty his/her mind and concentrate on only one thing, such as their breath, an inanimate object or an action such as walking. To just be. For the most part, learning the skill of meditation has eluded me. I haven’t even really tried, to be honest. I don’t think I’m “there” yet. I find it a challenge to clear my mind in a 5 minute savasana, let alone a 15 - 30 minute meditation.

But I really think there is something to be said for really being where you are and doing what you’re doing. Multitasking has always been touted as a positive thing, but I think that if we could all concentrate on one thing at a time, it would get done more efficiently and with a higher quality. Yoga is perfect proof of this. Pop up into a handstand. Go ahead. Concentrate. You’re doing it! Now think about what you’re gonna wear tomorrow. Bam! You’re on the ground.

Yoga instructors speak a lot about staying in the present moment during one’s yoga practice. I’m usually pretty good with concentrating on my practice and have been trying recently to really focus on and experience each pose and not think about which pose I’ll be doing next.

The same can be said for life in general. One minute you’re changing diapers a hundred times a day and rocking babies to sleep, the next you’re taking down the crib and putting change tables into storage. As I watch my babies grow and the years roll by, I hope that I can remember often to, as with my yoga, really focus on the right now and truly experience the wonder of everyday life, today.

Ferris Bueller had it bang on when he said “Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment