Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Commitment

I think ‘commitment’ is a term that is hard for my generation to understand. Ours is a world where almost everything is done for you; people expect immediate results and everything to be easy. You’re hungry? You can have a meal in less than five minutes from the microwave. Can’t remember the name of the cute one from NKOTB? Google will tell you in a matter of seconds. (It’s Jordan, by the way) Wanna get married? Hop on a plane to Vegas and hit up a chapel. Bada-bing! You’re hitched. And if it doesn’t turn out, you can just get divorced, right? No big deal.
My grandparents just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Holy shit. 60 YEARS! That is two of my lifetimes. In their 60 years together, it certainly could not have been all rainbows and lollipops. They have suffered the loss of a son, a grandson, and a great-grandson. They have also been able to experience the joys of watching their 9 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren grow. There have been numerous ups and downs, I’m sure. But they did it all together. Because they love and are committed to one another and their marriage.
I’m sure all of us have something we are struggling to remain committed to. Be it working out; eating healthfully; your marriage; your job. It’s hard. It’s supposed to be. “Nothing that’s worthwhile is ever easy”. I strive to remain committed to my yoga practice. It’s hard for me to find time to practice the asanas (postures) with my girls at home. And even harder for me to remember to bring the teachings of yoga into the rest of my life. But I am committed to finding the time, everyday, for me and my family. Because the better I take care of myself, the better I can take care of my family. For me, it’s family first. And that’s one thing I can easily commit to.

No comments:

Post a Comment