Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolutions

I’ve never been one to make New Year’s resolutions. I find a lot of people just make something up spur of the moment, without much thought, so they don’t appear to be lazy or have no ambition. Or they have good intentions, but drop back into their old habits within a couple of weeks.

Don’t get me wrong. I think it a brave step for someone to resolve to change themselves or their habits for the better. I just don’t think it has to wait for the new year to happen. We should all try to better ourselves every day. That being said, a new year is a great time to remind us of this.

So, I’ve been thinking about what my resolution could be, if I were to make one. I know that everyone has room for improvement, and I am certainly no exception. Quitting smoking is always a big one, but a severe case of mono had me quitting in high school before I really had even gotten started (thank God). I don’t think I need to lose weight really, and I already maintain a fairly regular yoga practice.

As I pondered different resolutions people make, I began to think about that wall most people hit a couple weeks in, often stopping their progression in it’s tracks. And I realized that just being more conscious of why they made the resolution in the first place would be a big help for them to stay on track. To be more conscious …. hmmmm.

Yup, that’s it. My New Year’s resolution is to be more MINDFUL of everything I do in my everyday life. To be more aware of my actions towards others. To be conscious that everything my girls hear and see me do, is teaching them to be just like that. To be more attentive to the foods that I put into my body and how they directly affect how I feel and act. To be conscientious as I practice yoga and only go as far as my body will allow, on that specific day, in that specific moment. To be vigilant in treating the earth with love and respect, and heedful of treating myself in the same way.

I don’t expect to transform overnight, nor do I want to change who I am. But I believe I can be better. We can all, in all ways, be better.

What can you resolve to be or do better this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment