Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tired?

Like the ornery bitch she is known to be, Monday rose up to greet me with a slap in the face. My youngest decided she should get up every hour throughout the night, making Monday morning less than pleasant. With monster bags under my eyes and a fuzzy brain, I attempted to get my kids fed and watered without screaming at them for looking at me the wrong way (alas, I did not succeed … bah, they’ll get over it). Needless to say I was tired. No … I was fucking exhausted. I knew I needed to find something to help me through the day.

I started with food. Food gives you energy. Pretty simple concept. On a day like I was having, it was tempting to break into the Halloween candy a little early (yeah, like I haven’t done that yet!) and binge on mini chocolate bars for an instant power boost. Since it was only 7:30 am, I opted to try something that may last a little longer and not add even more inches to my ass. I went with a banana and peanut butter toast - yummers! Anyways, you catch my drift. Good food = good energy. Here’s an article I found with a great energy-boosting menu for such a day (maybe a little heavy for women, but if you’re dog-tired, a hearty menu may be just what you need).

My daughter had a hard time with her nap that afternoon as well, meaning Mommy didn’t get a nap in either. By then, eating every hour was getting old and I needed a new idea - YOGA!!

I know, when you are totally bushed, the last thing you wanna do is something strenuous. But exercise gives you energy too. So, I pulled out my trusty iPad, logged onto yogaglo.com and proceeded to be reenergized with one of Jason Crandell’s fabulous classes. It was kinda like a reverse class. Only a half-hour long, we started in Savasana, did a few simple yet revitalizing poses, and ended in standing meditation. It was perfect! I actually felt the best I had all day. I realized recently too, that (on days my child lets me get a normal sleep) I don’t actually need as much sleep as I used to. Ten hours a night was a must for me, but since I’ve started to practice yoga more regularly (3-4 times/week) I have more energy!

Well, I’ll be damned! Apparently eating well and exercising gives you more energy! Who knew?! I should tell someone, right? ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment